• May 4, 2019 at 11:38 am #19412
    shane
    Participant

I would like to use flight deck on our BVLOS platforms to allow our operators to have telemetry on the handheld radio.

We currently use the PPM pass through for redundant control of the aircraft (in case our GCS computer locks up or the battery were to die)

I contacted RF designs (manufacture of the RFD900) to see if we could pay them to add a 3rd pass through for FrSky telemetry.

This would allow us to get the FrSky telemetry from the Pixhawk back to the ground.

If they are not interested I was told I could possibly use a MavLink sniffer to extract FrSky telemetry from the RFD900 at the GCS before it goes to the computer.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Shane

hybridproject.com

May 5, 2019 at 11:04 am #19423
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the details. Interesting project!

Unfortunately, this has a lot more to do with the capabilities of the RFD900x and such if you want a solution fully integrated within the radio.

My proposed solution is somewhat similar to the MAVLink sniffer, where you would need some equipment on the ground side to get the passthrough telemetry from a MAVLink stream. The solution is a MAVLink to FrSky passthrough converter, consisting of a Teensy (or STM32F103C) and the following program: https://github.com/zs6buj/MavlinkToPassthru/wiki

Documentation on this project is a little scarce, but using this program in Ground Mode, you should be able to read the downlinked MAVLink stream from the RFD900 (you could simply split the TX of the ground radio’s serial port or if you don’t want wires between the ground radio and the handheld radio, use bluetooth I guess – would not personally recommend bluetooth though) and convert it to the FrSky passthrough protocol with which FlightDeck is compatible. Others have had success with this, including when using DragonLink radios.

Best of luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.