• December 13, 2019 at 8:17 am #27611
    vyoufinder
    Participant

I am attempting to connect a backup Mauch 082: 2-6S BEC to the servo rail of my Pixhawk 1. The BEC has two red and two black, but the inputson the Pixhawk are just one of each; + and – (plus a signal wire.) What should I do; connect just one red to + and one black to -?, or combine both reds on one + and both blacks on one -?

December 13, 2019 at 12:05 pm #27631
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Nathan,

You can connect both reds and both blacks onto the servo rail, to any of the MAIN and AUX pins, without having to modify any cable coming from the BEC:
    https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-powering-the-pixhawk.html#powering-backup-off-the-servo-rail

It’s a rail, so all the AUX and MAIN + are connected together, and all the AUX and MAIN – as well.

December 14, 2019 at 2:07 am #27665
    vyoufinder
    Participant

Ok, thanks. Sounds like I should use two slots on the servo rail of the Pixhawk 1 then instead of wiring them together on one connector and into one slot. This should spread things out a bit and possibly offer some redundancy. As an alternative, could I connect only one of the wires to the back of the Pixhawk, and use the other pair of red and black for powering something else like landing gear?

Looking at that diagram made it clear that my backup BEC should be coming out of the power distribution board rather before it. I didn’t notice it in the diagram at http://www.craftandtheoryllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/PX2-with-1-sensor-HV.jpg .

So to be clear, after connecting the backup BEC to the Pixhawk servo rail, along with a zener diode, I should be able to pull a lot of power from the servo rail of the Pixhawk? Enough for say, landing gear or gimbal?

December 14, 2019 at 2:16 pm #27666
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Yes, you can use the other pair to power something else, or use the servo rail of the Pixhawk essentially as a power distribution bus (connect the landing gear and gimbal power to it too).

You won’t have trouble pulling the max rated 3A of your BEC out of the servo rail.

December 23, 2019 at 1:56 pm #27833
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Nathan,

I think my emails to you are ending in your spam folder. Can you please check?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.