• October 15, 2019 at 3:10 pm #25547
    7citiestyrent
    Participant

I have Flight Deck on the Frsky Taranis QX7 and the X8R. I would like to use with a BeagleBone Blue running the Ardupilot Blue image from https://github.com/mirkix/ardupilotblue

I have been following this tutorial
    https://github.com/imfatant/test
    The BeagleBone Blue has been successfully connected with the Mission Planner software.

I have the SBUS connected to sbus on the BB Blue and the SPort cable connected to UART5 (SERIAL 5). The QX7 Transmitter is detected by Mission Planner and can be calibrated but unfortunately the Flight Deck software on the QX7 Transmitter does not detect the BB Blue flight controller ( message on screen waiting for flight controller).

In the Mission Planner software and under the full parameter list I have set the value to 10 for Frsky SPort Passthrough and wrote param but the Flight Deck software still doesn’t recognize the the flight controller or receive any telemetry data.

I’m looking for suggestions on how to use the Flight Deck software with the Ardupilot Blue image on the BeagleBone Blue. Thanks for your time and any assistance.

Trent

October 15, 2019 at 6:06 pm #25548
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Trent,

As exemplified by the hardware documentation for the Pixhawk 2, there is not necessarily a correspondence between the UART and SERIAL numbers: https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/tree/2b0a30a2c512c116c53710f4aac34f3140b321e6/libraries/AP_HAL_ChibiOS/hwdef/CubeBlack
    Do you know for sure if, for the BeagleBone Blue, UART5 corresponds to SERIAL5 in ArduPilot?

Additionally, a restart is required after the SERIAL#_PROTOCOL parameter is changed (RebootRequired = True): http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/parameters.html#serial1-protocol

Other thing to watch for is that only one serial port can be configured on protocols 3, 4, or 10.

Finally, the easiest way to test that the link is working is to check for the “GPS” sensor in the TELEMETRY menu of OpenTX. If GPS is discoverable and there is a blinking * symbol next to it (indicating updates) then the FrSky telemetry link is working. As we’ve discussed over the phone, your X7 came configured and tested, so launching FlightDeck in your case is a perfectly suitable way of checking whether the link is working too…

November 6, 2019 at 4:33 pm #26328
    7citiestyrent
    Participant

Hi Florent,

As I’ve mentioned, ArduPilot is running on a BeagleBone Blue. It is a Linux SBC but the ArduPilot image has been compiled specific to the board.

The ports are mapped with creation of the ArduPilot environment configuration text file:

TELEM1=”-C /dev/ttyO1″
    TELEM2=”-A udp:<GCS IP address>:14550″
    GPS=”-B /dev/ttyO2″
    Unnamed=”-F /dev/ttyO5″

Switch -C maps ArduPilot’s “Telem1” serial port (SERIAL1, default 57600) to the BBBlue’s UART. I have a Readytosky 3DR Radio 915Mhz 500MW Telemetry Kit Air and Ground Data Transmit Module connected to UART1. The Ground module is connected to USB on my GCS.
    Switch -A maps ArduPilot’s “Console” serial port (SERIAL0, default 115200) to a protocol, GCS IP address and port number. This is mavlink to GCS via wifi.
    Switch -B maps ArduPilot’s “GPS” serial port (SERIAL3, default 57600) to the BBBlue’s UART2 (marked ‘GPS’ on the board itself). I have a u-blox NEO-M8P connected to UART2.
    Switch -F maps one of ArduPilot’s “Unnamed” serial ports (SERIAL5, default 57600) to the BBBlue’s UART5. This is the port that is connected to the Frsky X8R SPort telemetry cable.

It is also necessary to create the ArduPilot systemd service file, this one is for arducopter.service:

[Unit]
    Description=ArduCopter Service
    After=networking.service
    StartLimitIntervalSec=0
    Conflicts=arduplane.service ardurover.service antennatracker.service

[Service]
    EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/ardupilot
    ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/ardupilot/aphw
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/ardupilot/arducopter -C /dev/ttyO1 -A udp:192.168.0.69:14550 -B /dev/ttyO2 -F /dev/ttyO5

Restart=on-failure
    RestartSec=1

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

I have asked the person that created this port of Ardupilot for the BeagleBone Blue, Is it is possible to use the Frsky SPort telemetry?
    He has stated, ” FrsSky Telemetry will not work out of the box. You have to invert RX and TX and put them together “.

I have browsed a few videos on YouTube that demonstrate the use of a program called BetaFlight and use of a special usb to SPort tool to make changes to Frsky Telemetry.

How should I invert the RX and TX signals and put them together?

Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Trent

November 6, 2019 at 4:47 pm #26329
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Trent,

Thanks for supplying this information (especially the serial port mapping) that would surely help anyone with the BeagleBone Blue setup FrSky telemetry.

Looks like the pinout for the BeagleBone Blue UART5 (4-pin JST-SH) is:
    1: GND
    2: VCC
    3: RX
    4: TX

Is this correct?

To connect the X8R to the UART5, we can make you a telemetry cable which will be a variation of the Pixhawk Mini / PixFalcon telemetry cable. You can simply order and place a note saying you want it customized for the BeagleBone Blue. Alternatively, you can modify the Pixhawk 2 telemetry cable your ordered from us. In that case, please email me and I’ll give you the details on how to do this.

November 6, 2019 at 5:11 pm #26330
    7citiestyrent
    Participant

4-Pin JST-SH is correct.
    The pin orentation might be upside down.

The pinout diagram of the BB Blue is located:

https://github.com/imfatant/test

The UART5 pins in the diagram list the pins from left to right as:

1: TxD
    2: RxD
    3: 3v3
    4: GND

November 6, 2019 at 5:25 pm #26331
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Trent,

They should really have noted the pin numbers on the illustration.

According to this, pin 1 is ground, etc.: https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-blue/blob/master/BeagleBone_Blue_sch.pdf

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.