• December 15, 2015 at 3:27 pm #561
    Thomas Lauzon
    Keymaster

This topic is for questions specifically related to the telemetry user interface

December 16, 2015 at 2:31 pm #577
    Mark Brummett

Is there a way to make total voltage be read from the FLVSS module as opposed to getting it from the power module? I’ve found that the Pixhawk power module (or many others for that matter) do not report voltage under load properly using just that. I have compared between the PX power module and what the FLVSS outputs and it’s always different under load. I understand that with this I can see single lowest cell voltage from the FLVSS, but would like to know if it provides the option to always use the FLVSS for voltage readings.

Thank you and it looks like an awesome product for a reasonable cost.

December 16, 2015 at 6:02 pm #580
    Thomas Lauzon
    Keymaster

Hi Mark, thanks for your question. This is a good point. Originally we used the value from the FLVSS but we found that it was more interesting to display the value from the power module because it is the value that the autopilot will use to trigger the battery failsafe. We didn’t want the pilot to be surprised. You can display the total voltage from the FLVSS in a separate telemetry screen (e.g., “Screen 2”) in OpenTX by enabling the display of the “Cels” value.

December 16, 2015 at 7:05 pm #581
    Mark Brummett

Thanks for the quick response. I don’t use the battery failsafe via the power module because if I set it to a sane value, it would failsafe within ninety seconds of my flight starting, especially under load. I find using the FLVSS to have my current setup to alarm me when a single cell voltage gets to a certain point works much better. It would be nice if there were an option to do this instead of using the power module’s voltage sensor.

Another question — is there support (or possibly a thought of support) for the current sensing telemetry module for the Taranis (FCS-150A) in the same way. Although for whatever reason, once the current sensing on the PX power module is calibrated, it seems to work well, even under load. Which is why it is so confusing why the PM sensor seems to underreport.

Thanks again.

December 16, 2015 at 9:09 pm #584
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your purchase and your feedback. Our user interface displays the lowest cell voltage (as reported by the FLVSS sensor, if connected) and features visual and audible alerts as well. If the voltage of the lowest cell drops below either a “low” and “critical” cell voltage level, the corresponding alert will be triggered (the cell voltage will blink a certain way and you will hear an announcement such as “battery critical”). The “low” and “critical” cell voltage levels are configurable and set by default to 3.5V and 3.4V, respectively. Does that fit your requirements?

To be candid, we do not plan on having our user interface support the FCS-150A (or the FCS-40A). That being said, we will certainly implement the feature if it gets enough traction. In the meantime, you can represent the current reported by the FCS-150 on a separate telemetry screen (as Thomas suggests).

December 17, 2015 at 10:58 am #589
    Steven Brummett
    Participant

Yes, that works great. I actually use 3.7v and 3.6v, but to hear that it is configurable sets my mind at ease. Now my biggest hurdle will be upgrading the Taranis to 2.1.x, (I’m currently using 2.0.19 as it suited my needs at the time).

Thanks for the prompt response yet again.

December 17, 2015 at 1:15 pm #590
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear! The manual explains how to change the “low” and “critical” thresholds. It also provides step by step instructions on how to update your Taranis to 2.1.x.

December 20, 2015 at 3:17 pm #613
    Steven Brummett
    Participant

OK, in preparation for the module arriving tomorrow I have completed the upgrade of the Taranis firmware. As I have a Hexa, I downloaded the custom PX4 firmware from the github site, but when trying to load the custom firmware via Mission Planner, I get an error. System.Exception: could not find token at index 4.

Any ideas here? I’m using MP 1.3.33 (latest version).

December 21, 2015 at 9:05 am #615
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

This is a problem with Mission Planner which you may find occurring sometimes whenever loading a firmware (official or not). Mission Planner is prone to generating errors, especially when dealing with serial port communications. You may have to be persistent and (a) restart Mission Planner and/or (b) plug/unplug the USB cable connected to the Pixhawk. You may have to try different combinations, until you find one that works…

If the problem persists, you may have to find an alternate way of flashing the Pixhawk, such as using APM Planner.

December 21, 2015 at 10:50 am #616
    Steven Brummett
    Participant

Thanks for the response. As much as it might be a problem with Mission Planner (I don’t think that it really is), it may have more to do with trying to save the link from Github as a file. For whatever reason it also includes a bunch of extra XML that I am sure is causing the problem. My solution: look at one of the older firmwares with a text editor and mimic the pattern.

Once I did that, it loaded fine. Best approach: don’t save the link as a file. Open it in Github, then copy and paste the text into a new document and name it firmware.px4 (or whatever you’d like).

December 21, 2015 at 11:17 am #617
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Nice find Mark! You accurately stated the problem which lies with the method used to download files from GitHub! I will update the manual accordingly…

From your description I was able to replicate the error: from the GitHub website, if you right-click on the file name (ArduCopter-v2.px4) and save the link as a file, you are actually saving the html code of the link, and not the file itself.

To save the file, open it on GitHub by clicking on its name and either:
    (a) use Mark’s suggestion (thanks Mark!) which consists of copying/pasting the content of the file in a new document, or
    (b) right-click on the “Raw” button and save the link to that. The “Raw” button represents the link to the actual file.

December 21, 2015 at 11:19 am #618
    Steven Brummett
    Participant

No problem. Being a software tester by trade (for the past 10 years) I have a knack for being able to troubleshoot problems with very little information to go on.

December 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm #623
    Steven Brummett
    Participant

OK, received the unit today, the setup once I got into my head I need to power up the vehicle AFTER discovering sensors worked well.

One thing of note you might take into consideration. Some of us with bigger rigs have a little further distance to traverse for the cable. The cable you provide is pretty short. For me, it’s a non issue as I roll my own cable (I have all the tools and cable to make an extension) but it’s something I thought I’d put out there.

One more question…can the units displayed on the telemetry page be changed to imperial instead of metric? I can convert metric but would prefer to be able to see it in imperial if possible.

Thanks again. Haven’t got to fly it yet but testing seems to work well.

December 22, 2015 at 3:15 pm #625
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your feedback.

We considered making longer cables and decided on this cable length to avoid clutter on most vehicles. A single length also keeps our cable options to a minimum. A servo extension cable can be added, if necessary, to lengthen the telemetry cable (for the X6R/X8R/FLVSS model).

The units on the display (i.e., altitude, groundspeed, home distance, rangefinder measurement, HDOP) are metric. Having a configurable option to switch between metric and imperial is planned in a future release. The option will likely be implemented and tested within the next month or so.

January 5, 2016 at 2:04 pm #748
    stubugs

hi ive just setup my new taranis with all files as described and my pixhawk with the modified 3.3.2 then i set discover new sensors
    i seam to get all sensors
    rssi/rxbt/cels/swr/curr/gps/fuel/vfas/gspd/galt/hdg/tmp1/tmp2/alt/
    but when i try telemetry screen i keep getting
    error not all sensors have been disovered
    i try discover sensors again but no more show up
    i can get gps etc under where screen says pixhawk and my sensors seam to be reading ok but still it will not work
    any help be grately appreciated
    stuart

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.