• January 11, 2016 at 9:49 am #816
    Chris Telford

I have just test flown my multirotor with the Craft and Theory telemetry cable and user interface properly for the first time. Everything works nicely and I can see it’s a good bit of software. I just have two small comments and suggestions though I may be missing something and someone might be able to tell me how to fix them myself.

Firstly the battery monitor. During my flight the bar was oscillating around 95% and didn’t seem to give accurate results. According to the manual it’s not going to work well if you start with a less than full battery anyway. This is a bit of a pain because accurate battery info is very useful.

I know that I get an accurate mAh counter via mavlink telemetry over bluetooth with my smart phone. I am capable of basic mental arithmetic (subtraction). Would it be possible to have a mAh counter instead of a % bar so that if i fly with differently sized LiPos I can just do the maths myself? It could also take up less space than a % bar freeing up room for other stuff.

Secondly; the artificial horizon. It seems odd to me. The vertical axis seems to represent the horizon in that if you dip the nose of the aircraft the horizon bar climbs in opposition just like the horizon would if flying via FPV. This seems natural and easy to read to me.

The horizontal axis seems different. It doesn’t represent the horizon, it represents the aircraft (at least on my setup right now it does). If i bank the aircraft right the line banks right with the aircraft, not left as the horizon would from an FPV perspective.

I can cope with one method or the other but having the two mixed is quite confusing and makes it difficult to intuitively pilot the aircraft from the HUD. Is there a way to change this?

January 11, 2016 at 12:15 pm #820
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Based on your feedback, a new version (v2.2) of the files for the Taranis is now available for download (using the same link that you used previously to download FrSkyTelemetry.zip), whereas:
    – The artificial horizon now matches the representation in Mission Planner,
    – A parameter called “ShowAh” (accessible via the CUSTOM SCRIPT menu page on your Taranis) can be set to 1 to display the Ah consumed and the battery capacity to the left of the battery bar.

Let us know what you think of it…

January 21, 2016 at 1:46 pm #898
    Chris Telford

Well i re-downloaded the file and spend the last 30 mins installing it. It’s exactly the same as it was before. No change. I think something went wrong with updating the file. Can you email me a new download link please?

January 21, 2016 at 1:50 pm #899
    Chris Telford

Woops just double checked. The update worked. I know have a proper artificial horizon rather than a picture of the aircraft banking which makes more sense to me as a pilot.

Now to work out how to enable mAh via the custom scripts (which i’ve not done before).

January 21, 2016 at 2:09 pm #900
    Chris Telford

I like the update. I think the artificial horizon is better than the representation of the aircraft (personal preference perhaps) and would be good as a user editable option for everyone else unless i’m odd in prefering an artificial horizon…

The Ah counter appears to work now I’ve set ShowAh to 1. I will test it properly next time i fly but it looks good – better to me than a progress bar.

I can’t get the Ah counter to display mAh. I get the impression i need to manipulate ‘mAhx100 = 0’ above the ‘showAh’ variable to achieve this but haven’t worked out how. I’ve tried entering 1 and also 100 and neither seemed to help much. I can live with Ah but mAh would look good especially for smaller aircraft.

January 21, 2016 at 7:04 pm #901
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. As you know, when setting ShowAh to 1, the size of the battery bar is reduced and to its left is displayed the consumed Ah and the battery capacity in Ah, which are the values used to calculate the battery %. While displayed in Ah, these values are shown with two decimal places, so the resolution is effectively 10mAh, which should be sufficient even on smaller aircraft.

The mAhx100 parameter can be used to override the value set in the Pixhawk for the battery capacity. This is useful if you’re out in the field without means to modify the battery capacity parameter in the Pixhawk (which is typically done using Mission Planner). It is important to set the battery capacity correctly and to use a fully charged battery so that the battery % on the user interface is accurate. This is also the case when looking at the battery % using Mission Planner. The battery % on both the user interface and in Mission Planner are calculated the same way: battery % = (capacity – consumed) / capacity

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.