• October 2, 2017 at 12:15 pm #9743
    Jeffrey

I’m currently setting up a 14S version of the Mauch single battery kit on a Traditional Helicopter, and the voltage readout is correct, but the amps are too high.

I’m configuring Mission Planner exactly as shown on your website, I’m keying-in the Voltage Divider and Amps per volt with the provided calibration data for the sensor. I also have a power-meter installed in-line so I can compare readings, my power meter is reading around 10amps with the motor spooled up(blades off), and the calculated amperage in Mission Planner is shows 30amps before motor spool up, and about 38 amps at full RPM, power meter is reading around 8 amps with motor at full RPM.

The system I’m using is two 6S batteries in series, so its a 12S system, not sure that would matter though. so it seems Mission Planner is just not zeroed correctly before spooling up the motor, amps do read-out, but everything is just 30amps too high. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I’m currently running 3.5.3 firmware on a Pixhawk 2.1.

I can attach some screenshots if needed.

Thanks,
    Jeff

October 2, 2017 at 3:12 pm #9771
    Florent Martel
    Keymaster

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for the detailed information. If the measurements are scaled accurately, there is a BATT_AMP_OFFSET parameter in ArduPilot. Maybe this parameter is set to something other than 0? You can also contact the manufacturer directly (http://www.mauch-electronic.com/contact) who will be able to better assist you with this technical question.

May 30, 2018 at 3:11 pm #12365
    ainut
    Participant

My brand new Mauch system (200 amp “sensor,” PL 4-6S BEC) system connected to a Cube 2.1 is also giving very high amp readings, whether battery is connected or not! Volts are correct (mostly), with and without battery, but the amps hover around (pun intended) 76-77 amps. Please tell me you guys have figured this one out. Batt_amp_offset is already at zero.

May 31, 2018 at 2:04 pm #12373
    Thomas Lauzon
    Keymaster

Could be that you are not reading the amps from the right power port… Could you send a picture of your power connection and a Mission Planner power screen screenshot to [email protected]?
    We’ll try to assist you with it as soon as we can.
    Best,
    Thomas
    Craft and Theory

June 2, 2018 at 12:08 pm #12387
    ainut
    Participant

The connecting cable setup is simple, once you know what cable goes where. 🙁

Sensor -> PL 4-6S BEC sens. -> BEC Power 1 -> Pixhawk Cube Power 1.

How does one take a screenshot of the Mission Planner window?

Anyway, In MP config, getting volts (but like others, always 1 volt off,) Batt_Curr_Pin = 3, Batt_Volt_Pin = 2, Batt_Monitor = 4.

June 2, 2018 at 12:10 pm #12388
    ainut
    Participant

Oh, once Batt_Curr_Pin was changed from 12, to 2, current on Flight Deck changed to 0, whether battery is plugged in or not.

June 2, 2018 at 12:13 pm #12389
    ainut
    Participant

And if it matters, the battery is a 3S, 10,000mah, with 10,000 set in MP on Batt_Capacity. No one is sure a 4S is absolutely required but theorized a 3S should work fine.

June 4, 2018 at 3:12 pm #12402
    Thomas Lauzon
    Keymaster

Hi Ainut. You can take a screenshot by pressing the PrtSc key on your keyboard or using the Snipping tool in Windows (hit the windows key and type snipping, it should show up) and then pasting (ctrl+v) in your email for example.

Try arming and spinning the motors (without propellers!) to see if you have any current reading. You can display the current in the Mission Planner Hud. Make sure to select the current in the user items when you right click in the Hud.

June 4, 2018 at 8:12 pm #12407
    ainut
    Participant

Thank you, Thomas. Here is the full screen PrtScrn, rather than just the MP window, with settings just as mentioned above.
    I’m beginning to believe the Mauch sensor or BEC are faulty out of the box. With 3S or 4S batteries, amps still read zero, whether motors are spinning full speed or not spinning at all.

David
    /home/david/Documents/FullScrMP.jpg

(Also, I do not get emails when there are replies to this forum.)

June 4, 2018 at 10:26 pm #12411
    Thomas Lauzon
    Keymaster

Hi David, unfortunately, that link doesn’t work. Please send the screenshot to [email protected] as an attachment. It would also help if you could send a picture of your power module setup just to make sure.

The Mauch sensors and BECs go through rigorous manufacturing and testing and we have had very very few issues with Mauch equipment. It is more likely that there is a configuration problem.
    If you have a voltmeter you can measure the voltage on the yellow wire, which is proportional to the current measured by the sensor. If you are able to read something, then you have a configuration problem in Mission Planner.

For replies, make sure that you check the box below next to the text that says “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”

I’m sure we’ll sort it out. Happy to help you!
    Thomas

June 5, 2018 at 9:50 am #12414
    ainut
    Participant

Sent.

June 5, 2018 at 11:18 am #12415
    Thomas Lauzon
    Keymaster

Thanks for sending the picture. It looks like your battery is on the wrong side of the sensor. The battery should be on the right of the sensor. As a result, the current is flowing in the opposite direction. Swap sides and see if you get better results. 🙂

Also make sure you solder the bridge under the cover to get more accurate voltage readings for batteries under 7S.

June 5, 2018 at 1:33 pm #12416
    ainut
    Participant

Sure would have been nice if that were in the INSTALLATION DOCUMENATION, if it changes anything. I had to pay someone to install the ends, so thanks a TON for including it in the installation documentation.

Oh wait, there is no installation documentation. How silly of me.

June 5, 2018 at 1:36 pm #12417
    ainut
    Participant

Solder a bridge under which cover, the sensor or the BEC?

June 5, 2018 at 1:43 pm #12418
    Thomas Lauzon
    Keymaster

Thank you for your feedback. We’ll try to make this experience better.

The bridge is on the sensor board. You can see what I’m talking about on this page: http://www.craftandtheoryllc.com/store/003-pl-200-sensor-board/ in the PL Sensor Voltage Selection section.

Best,
    Thomas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.